Thursday, October 4, 2012

Apple Curry Chicken Chili

 Yesterday at work we had a fundraiser lunch. The people had a choice of either a hot dog w/ various sides or a bowl of chili w/ sides. Anyway, I made chili. I didn't want to bring in the same kind of chili as other people...so this is what I came up with. I posted on my Facebook, Apple Curry Chicken Chili, would you eat this? A lot of women said no, it sounded gross...the guys said they would. Well, the first one to knock it before she rocked it, wants the recipe lol. Everybody loved it, and it was the only one to be sold out of.  I got the last bowl, but still lol. Also, I made this over night in the crock-pot.

Ingredients:
1.5 cups chopped apples (small cubes)
1/2 cup of (unsweetened) apple sauce
1 lb ground chicken breast
1 tbs minced garlic (I think that equals 1 clove?)
1/2 tbs curry powder
1 small onion
1 big can kidney beans (the double size), drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can chili beans, with juice
2 cans tex-mex fire roasted diced tomatoes w/ green chiles, with juice
1 can fire roasted tomatoes, with juice


Directions:
 Add a little oil to a skillet, and brown the chicken with the garlic. When the chicken is done, remove from the pan (go ahead and put it in the crock pot). Add a little more oil if needed (I actually used bacon grease, b/c I had it sitting there). Saute the onions just  little. Once they start to brown a bit, put them in the crock pot.
 Now put everything else in the crock pot, stir it all up, and put the lid on. I cooked mine on low/10 hrs... You may need to stir it once or twice, but it's not required. You could also slow cook this in a pot on stove too.


Note: The apples.... I didn't use actual applesauce. I took another apple, and "mushed" it up in my Magic Bullet, then poured it in....Same concept basically as apple sauce.

I topped mine with Guacamole, plain Greek yogurt, and a sprinkle of shredded cheddar.

 I do not have a picture of this :( Maybe next time!

  Enjoy!
                       -Candi

No comments:

Post a Comment